– Souza da Motta F, Moreira FFF, Crumière AJJ, Santos ME, Khila A (2018) A new species of Rhagovelia Mayr, 1865 (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Veliidae) from French Guiana, with new records of Gerromorpha from the the country. Zootaxa 4433:520-530
– Santos ME, Le Bouquin A, Crumière AJJ, Khila A (2017) Taxon-restricted genes at the origin of morphological novelty and ecological opportunity in water striders. Science 358:386-390
– Santos ME (2017) One gene, multiple alleles: insights into the microevolution of pigmentation patterns. Molecular Ecology 26:2605-2607
– Crumière AJJ, Santos ME, Sémon M, Armisén D, Moreira FFF, and Khila A (2016) Diversity in morphology and locomotory behavior is associated with niche expansion in the semi-aquatic bugs. Current Biology 26:3336-3342
– Santos ME, Baldo L, Gu X, Boileau N, Musilova Z, Salzburger W (2016) Comparative transcriptomics of anal fin pigmentation patterns in cichlid fishes. BMC Genomics 17: 712.
– Santos ME, Berger C, Refki P, Khila A (2015) Integrating evo-devo with ecology for a better understanding of phenotypic evolution. Briefings in Functional Genomics, doi: 10.1093/bfgp/elv003
– Santos ME, Braasch I, Boileau N, Meyer B, Boehne A, Affolter M, Salzburger W (2014) The evolution of cichlid egg-spots are linked with a cis-regulatory change. Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/ncomms6149
– Colombo M, Diepeveen ET, Muschick M, Santos ME, Indermaur A, Boileau N, Barluenga M, Salzburger W (2013) The ecological and genetic basis of convergent thick-lipped phenotypes in cichlid fishes. Molecular Ecology, 22:670-684.
– Santos ME, Salzburger W (2012) How cichlids diversify. Science, 338:619-621.
– Baldo L, Santos ME, Salzburger W (2011) Comparative transcriptomics of Eastern African cichlid fishes shows signs of positive selection and a large contribution of untranslated regions to genetic diversity. Genome Biology and Evolution, 3:443-55.
– Santos ME, Athanasiadis A, Leitão AB, Dupasquier L, Sucena E (2011) Alternative splicing and gene duplication in the evolution of the FoxP gene sub-family. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 28:237-47.
– Lopes PC, Sucena E, Santos ME, Magalhães S (2008) Rapid experimental evolution of pesticide resistance in C. elegans entails no costs and affects the mating system. PLoS ONE, 3(11): e3741.
– Armisen D, Rjakuma R, Friedrich M [ and 51 other, including Santos ME] (2018) The genome of the water strider Gerris buenoi reveals expansions of gene repertoires associated with adaptations to live on the water. bioRxiv, doi:10.1101/242230
– Panfilio KA, Vargas Jentzsch IM, Benoit JB [ and 78 other, including Santos ME] (2017) Molecular evolutionary trends and feeding ecology diversification in the Hemiptera, anchored by the milkweed bug genome. bioRxiv, doi:10.1101/201731
– Adelman Z, Reinhardt K, Dolan A, [ and 77 other, including Santos ME] (2016) Unique features of a global human ectoparasite identified through sequencing of the bed bug genome. Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/ncomms10165.
– Brawand D, Wagner CE, Li YI, [ and 72 other, including Santos ME] (2014) The genomic substract for adaptive radiation in African cichlid fish. Nature, doi:10.1038/nature13726